Saturday, August 28, 2010

Safe Arrival

Hello, dear friends,

I feel  like I've been climbing a mountain with landscapes so interesting and different that it's hard to remember to watch my footing.  Utah seems far away and long ago, even though it's only been a week. 

I am pleased to report that we arrived safe and sound.  The flights went as smoothly as could be expected.  We left Salt Lake at 10:30 am Saturday, had a brief layover at JFK in New York, and we touched down in Tel Aviv around 1:00 pm on Sunday. Total flight time: about 16 hours.  Total sleep time: maybe 5 hours.
  

Highlights: chicken nuggets in the kids meals, plenty of mini pillows, friendly flight attendants who called my little girls "Princess," and round of applause from the passengers when the airplane touched down in Tel Aviv.   That was surprising and touching, like the time I heard applause after a baptism.   It would have been nice if we had slept better on the plane, or if a full cup of orange juice had not slid off the tray table into my lap, or if we had remembered to find the booster seat before we left the baggage area.  But at least we remembered the other 29 bags and bundles, and all the females could sit in an air conditioned shuttle bus while Frank navigated the security hurdles in reverse and retrieved the booster seat.
 
   
The heat was pretty intense on the way home, but we were assured that we had brought with us a cold front compared to the week before.  During the drive to Jerusalem, we saw hills terraced with white rocks, contrasting with dark green coniferous trees.  Frank pointed out old tank and plane parts from past wars, intentionally left along the highway as memorials of past wars.  Talk about leaving behind a monument. 

 At one checkpoint an armed Israeli guard checked i.d.s of our Palestinian driver and guide.  He climbed the steps and looked at us, and asked with an accent, "Is okay?"  Or maybe he said, "It's okay."  We nodded and tried to pull smiles on to our jet-lagged faces.  He stepped out and waved us forward. 

Our driver expertly navigated the crowded streets labelled in three languages.  I've learned since that there is some kind of code to the honking, like three honks means, "I'm passing you on the right."  Traffic signals come in the familiar green, and yellow, red, the green blinks before it turns yellow, and you'd better stop when it's yellow.  After the red light comes another yellow light, which means your wheels had better be moving by the time green comes, or you'll hear a chorus of honks from behind you.  According to Eran Hayet, the director of the Jerusalem Center, here in the Holy Land the speed of sound is faster than the speed of light, because you may hear impatient honks even before the light turns green.

If you maximize this photo, you'll see the Dome of the Rock in the distance to the left of center.  (The virtual tour in our links is about as close as we can get to the interior, but the surrounding Temple Mount is sporadically open to tourists under tight security.  No Bibles allowed.)  

At this point in the drive, it started to sink in that I was really in Jerusalem, that the months of planning and weeks of scrambling had brought us to our destination, and what was once an image on a post card to me is now my home.


(Care to comment on your best or worst travel experience?)

4 comments:

  1. Hello Hello Hello! I guess I am representing the Payne family. But we are glad that you guys got there ok. Keep updating!
    I know my worst travel experience was when we flew to Europe. I guess you guys can relate now to the Boredom of 10 hour flights huh? Well it's good to hear from you guys.
    ~Maren Payne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Vegas when you landed. I am so glad you made it there safely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely! Worst travel experience: waiting it the airport with 6 kids (including 2 month old twins in car seats-the oldest child was 8) and the luggage while Mike went to get the van. The 2 year old announced that she needed to go potty, so I prayed for Mike to return quickly. I couldn't figure out any way to move the whole gang. But it took Mike a LONG time (the battery was dead and he had to get a jump)and the 2 year old became more desperate. You can guess how it ended...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a late post, and I can't top the last comment, but this makes me remember arriving in AS. Totally new and you can't stop staring at everything. And the feeling is hard to describe but the same whenever you move somewhere new, so I'm sure I know how you all were feeling. Exciting. Oh yeah, my family had to fly every time we moved and we took everything we owned on the plane with us. If it didn't fit, it stayed behind. The last time we did that, I think there were 6 kids and one mom, so we probably had 28 parcels as well. I remember we all carried our comforters wrapped around our pillows as a carry on.

    ReplyDelete

We invite your comments, but if you want to contact us directly and don't know our email address, contact us at jerusalemjudds@gmail.com.