Monday, October 14, 2013

General Conference

I have read versions of this poem many times in the past, and it resonated with my life experiences:

I asked for strength.
God gave me difficulties to make me strong.

I asked for wisdom.
God gave me problems to solve.

I asked for prosperity.
God gave me brawn and brain to work.

I asked for courage.
God gave me dangers to overcome.

I asked for patience.
God placed me in situations where I was forced to wait.

I asked for love.
God gave me troubled people to help.

I asked for favors.
God gave me opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted.
I received everything I needed.

Last weekend in General Conference, I heard a quote I like even more.  I believe God blesses us with trials, but also with the tools to endure and learn from our trials.
Sometimes we may ask God for success, and He gives us physical and mental stamina. We might plead for prosperity, and we receive enlarged perspective  and increased patience, or we petition for growth and are blessed with the gift of grace. He may bestow upon us conviction andconfidence as we strive to achieve worthy goals. And when we plead for relief from physical, mental, and spiritual difficulties, He may increase our resolve and resilience. -David A. Bednar

No comments:

Post a Comment

We invite your comments, but if you want to contact us directly and don't know our email address, contact us at jerusalemjudds@gmail.com.