So, today I was shopping in my favorite nearby store, Tannour's, where the hoagie rolls are fresh and the service is excellent, although rarely smoke-free. This is in East Jerusalem, in the Palestinian side of town, so I am interested to hear a woman at the bakery counter speaking Hebrew. She asks for two bagels (pictured below) and two pizza bagels. So I decide I would like the same and wait in line. The woman continues chatting with the clerk, and he answers back in Hebrew.
I'm smiling because I love exchanges like this--a friendly Israeli telling a story to a trilingual Palestinian. The woman asks if I understood, and I say, no. She then tells me her story in broken English: A cat is chasing a mouse, who hides in his hole. The cat waits and waits, then finally starts to bark like a dog. The mouse comes out of his hole, right into the jaws of the cat. The mouse says, "I thought you were a dog!" The cat says, "Well, to get by in this town you have to speak all the languages."
By the way, the pizza bagels were fabulous. I replaced most of the olives with pepperoni from the states and toasted them open-face style, and my kids liked them a lot!

I like that story!
ReplyDelete