Meeting 84 new best friends, orienting them to their new home, cultural expectations, field trip schedule, committee assignments (like Arab night or Seder committee), callings, Come Follow Me groups, and oh, yes, squeeze in some classes, ostensibly the primary reason we BYU faculty families are here! Not to mention explaining the rules, lots of rules! Most rules are here to keep everyone safe. Some are here to keep the administration sane. Our family's goal is to not mistakes so glaring that they spawn a new rule, or at least to not have the rule overtly named after us. Each amazing field trip requires reservations, orientation meeting(s) or verbal announcements (Frank's jobs) as well as visual flyers with all the important details (Frank and I tag team on this) and usually some form of tipping or cash outlay (my job).
Then, to help with morale and make things fun, we mix in a talent show, choir practices, ping pong tournaments, and a guided tour under the building to legally add our names to the walls of the utility space below.
If morale is a problem and students want to talk to someone about stress or whatever, they can contact the ombudsperson (me) and talk about how they feel and I help brainstorm possible options. I have been trying to assemble some handouts and guidelines for possible scenarios, like depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and sexual harassment. BYU Caps seems to have helpful resources; I hope they will be helpful in real actual use here.
I have been blessed to be able to meet with members of the Relief Society from all over Israel and Palestine, some Ukrainian and Russian speaking members in Beersheva and Tel Aviv, some Philippina members near Haifa, some local members who joined the church in other countries and then came here, and some expatriate members who are here for only a few years. I meet them, love them, learn from them, exchange What'sApp phone numbers, and then we all have to go back to our own lives until the next time we meet. It is an interesting arrangement. No time to hold back and wait for people to warm up before trying to love them and see them as God sees them.
According to Mother Theresa, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Of course we all study others closely and make judgments, but we can try to do it without blame or condemnation. If someone is blunt or unkind, do I mentally label them a jerk and think, "How dare they?" or do I secretly wonder if they're having a tough day or otherwise manifesting inner wounds? If I choose the first, labelling and blaming, it will show in how I treat them, and they will likely continue to act that way in a vicious cycle that seems to prove my labels right but also makes me complicit in reinforcing their view of the world (of course, I am not responsible for what they choose to think, do, or say). If I choose the second approach, observing without criticizing or blaming, maybe reflecting back whatever bit of truth I'm seeing in them, it will also show, and maybe hearts will soften, or at least they may feel safe to be their real, best selves. I've seen that happen since I've been here, a frosty greeting turned into civility and actually resolving with an apology. I consider that a moment of sacred vulnerability.
Arab Culture Night
This is the sign outside of the BYU Jerusalem Center.
Overlooking Jerusalem from the south
"Family Tree" pic in Jericho
Pizza in the Jewish Quarter after Hezekiah's tunnel
Shofar for Rosh Hoshana
Palmahim beach
Honey and Apples for Rosh Hashana
Cut paper art for a friend who is ill
At Qasr Al Yahud baptismal site
Our wonderful service couples: Dennis and Margaret Lifferth, Mark and Mary Ann Morrison, Mark and Marvel Earnshaw (who just went home) John and Shawna Hilton, and Arvid and Kelly Carlson.
Getting Ready for Halloween!












No comments:
Post a Comment
We invite your comments, but if you want to contact us directly and don't know our email address, contact us at jerusalemjudds@gmail.com.