Aaah, Galilee!
You don't end up here by accident, it takes a two + hour drive over windy, hilly roads, roughly parallel to the Jordan river. You need passports and daylight to come the route I took. I drove a huge chevy van with my friend Krystal Pierce and 5 kids. I went 80-100 kph on the straightaways but had to drop down to 60 for the curves, which added an extra 30 minutes to the trip.
It was worth it for a glimpse of the beautiful Sea of Galilee stretched out before us, the hazy sky creeping down with the perfect color to merge sky and water.
Jesus Christ must have spent a large part of his mortal life walking up and down this area, teaching in all the synagogues, inviting and healing. I'm picturing some significant travel time. The trip around the lake we took today, 1 1/2 hours plus two stops, that would have taken Jesus 13 hours by foot. No wonder a boat on a stormy sea was worth the risk! And Nazareth to Jerusalem was 36 hours to walk through the central hill country.
I wonder what the Savior thought about as he walked along. At a walking pace, did he notice every lily and wildflower waiting for rain? Every creature, every cloud, every rocky cliff and dry wadi? Did he thank God for the beauty of creation, or did he remember his premortal role in making God's spiritual creation into a tangible reality?
Were the Savior's journeys mostly solitary, or more often with others? On the road to Emmaus, we have an example of the Savior teaching from the scriptures during the unavoidable delay of travel. Did he also connect with others and ask about their challenges, bear their burdens and mourn with those that mourned?
No comments:
Post a Comment
We invite your comments, but if you want to contact us directly and don't know our email address, contact us at jerusalemjudds@gmail.com.