Levels 3 and 4 will soon be full of study abroad students, and on level 5 this stately edifice is currently hosting a passel of kids: five Judds and six Muhlesteins.
When we first arrived on August 22, helpful friends greeted us and led us past mosaics, fountains, and arched windows, down three flights of chiselled stone steps into our apartment. Or more accurately, apartments. To accomodate us, a doorway had been created between a one-bedroom apartment and a two-bedroom apartment. The kids sorted themselves into the two-bedroom side, complete with two bathrooms, while Frank and I claimed the other side. The Muhlesteins live just down the hall.
When we first arrived on August 22, helpful friends greeted us and led us past mosaics, fountains, and arched windows, down three flights of chiselled stone steps into our apartment. Or more accurately, apartments. To accomodate us, a doorway had been created between a one-bedroom apartment and a two-bedroom apartment. The kids sorted themselves into the two-bedroom side, complete with two bathrooms, while Frank and I claimed the other side. The Muhlesteins live just down the hall.
The apartments have a nice mix of high quality building materials that we won't ruin, like tile floors, and housewares and bedding of various ages so we won't feel extravagant if we wear something out. One living room area had already been outfitted as a dining room, and a bowl of fresh fruit welcomed us. Our luggage magically appeared in the hallway, and we walked out on the patio just as strains of chanted Arabic began undulating across the valley.
We have arrived during Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting. Devout Muslims eat a meal before the sun rises, then refrain from food or drink until sundown, when feasting, fireworks, and scripture recitation mark the ending of each day's fast. In addition to the Call to Prayer which our kids had already heard on YouTube, in this holy month entire chapters of the Quran are broadcast over loudspeakers. The sound is piercing, a plaintive melody I can neither understand nor ignore. I hear that over time the Call to Prayer fades into the background, just a part of the regular daily sound track. I hope that doesn't happen soon. One of my daughters was waving her hands and imitating the sound in a teasing way. I reminded her that we have a rule about not making fun of church songs, and this was like a church song to many of our neighbors. I'm glad that little teaching moment happened at home and not out in public. In fact, I feel that way about a lot of teaching moments that happen at home. So far I've been shopping at an Arabic produce store, a pita bakery, a money changer's (1% fee), and a Jewish grocery store. I haven't yet driven the vehicles, and I haven't yet ventured out with my children.
Ending on a light note: we are almost past the jet lag and feeling back to the regular bustling tiredness. Two evenings ago I must have nodded off during the prayer before family scripture study. When I woke up, six pairs of eyes were staring at me. I said weakly, "Amen?" Actually I asked, "Was I snoring?" Carrie said, "No, but it looked like you were contemplating something very deep."
Views of the teenager's room, the little girls' rooms, and the two kids' bathrooms. The formatting wouldn't cooperate with me.
Jill, I loved reading about your flight, arrival, and your new home. Thanks for posting!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad things are going well thus far. It sounds crazy/magical/amazing there. I can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. We also love hearing about your adventure, especially in your voice. We look forward to more!
ReplyDeleteKatie
I think a trained mongoose would have been lots of fun!
ReplyDelete